Tuesday, June 24, 2008

On Elitism

I was reading from John Bingham's book tonight and came across a good quote:

"For a long time I was embarrassed to be standing in a group of runners with a number pinned to my chest. How presumptuous of me, I thought, that I should try to join in. How outrageous of me to think that I am, a waddling middle-aged man (for me: a former 393 pound fat girl), could be one of them."

There is certainly an intimidation factor when it comes to racing. I don't want to let this keep me from racing though. I really want to try this.

The other quote from tonight's reading was,

"I used to believe that there could only be one winner. What a moment of enlightenment it was to discover that there are individuals who are winning races irrespective of their finishing time."

I am not in the least bit concerned about ever winning a race, but I do want to compete against my own personal best every time I do race. I am becoming an adult onset athlete, one day at a time.

No comments: