Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Dessert Kind Of Day....



Since my cooking class got cancelled (low enrollment for that particular class), I decided that I would stop by the bakery. This bakery is ran by culinary students, and I've wanted to stop for some time, just never did. I bought several dessert type items to try. I don't feel bad about eating them because they were not big at all. Here are some samples of my eats...




This I bought at a different store while picking up a few items to make dinner. I got this on recommendation of our school secretary. Since I had several sweets today, I won't be eating this for a few days.


While at the speciality store, I also got arugula. I have never used it in a recipe, so I am interested to see the taste it brings out. I bought garlic already made because I wasn't in the mood to do fresh garlic tonight.


I bought Rachel Ray's garbage bowl. I know I am such a dork.


I am really into cooking magazines over cookbooks. I like the cheaper price, and the variety that they seem to have. I tear out the recipes I like, and am in the process of making my "own" cookbook from the recipes I like.


For Dinner Tonight:
Garlicky Spaghetti with Beans and Greens


Ingredients:
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
5 ounces arugula leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Place pasta in a small bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, tossing gently. Set aside, and keep warm.
2. Return pan o medium heat. Add oil, garlic, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and beans; cook 2 minutes. Add pasta; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add reserve pasta water and arugula, tossing gently to combine. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and cheese. Serve immediately. (Makings 6 servings.)

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

Those desserts look awesome!

Really, the garbage bowl?! Yes, you're a dork! ;-)

I personally don't care for arugula, but I might like it cooked. My parents grow arugula, which actually spreads like a weed. It was seriously growing in all the cracks in their driveway and patio this summer! My mother LOVES it, and eats it everyday. She obviously eats it in salads, but she also likes it on her pizza. Not American pizza, Italian pizza, which is more like flatbread, I suppose. You put it on top of the pizza after it's baked, not before, and you dress it like a salad first.

And, I'm totally with you on the magazines vs. books, although I probably have about 20 cookbooks.

I was a little surprised to see regular pasta in your picture. I don't know why I assumed you guys would eat wheat pasta. It's all I've bought for the past 4-5 years, and we LOVE it! Although, I personally haven't had pasta (or bread or rice!) in over 3 months. :(