Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tribute to My Daddy...

I watched My Sister's Keeper last night. That was a very powerful and emotional movie. HH was at the nursing home, and I talked to him about it all the way home. At one point, the terminally ill girl gets dressed up for prom. She looks radiant. While everyone is fussing about how beautiful she looks, she goes up to her dad. She asks her dad how she looks. In a room of crowded people, his opinion really mattered. She wanted to hear her dad say she was pretty. This was an especially emotional moment for me, because it triggered thoughts I've had with my own dad.

Pretty.....

While I don't have the most healthy self-concept, I can say with 100% certainty that it is not because of my father. My dad's nickname for me was always "pretty." Even to this day, he often refers to me that way. I didn't turn a lot of heads growing up, but without knowing it, my dad worked on my self-image through this one word. There are many more emotions I am feeling right now, but I just can't get them to form words here. I am thankful for my dad always lifting me up in that regard.

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

Aren't Daddies the freakin' BEST?!?

I'm totally a Daddy's Girl, too. :)