Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lack of Resources...



So I've stopped at the Circle K two days this week in the neighborhood where I work this week. In general I try to avoid this, because of the legitimate possibility of being a witness to a robbery. I just went in to get some Diet Sunkist, yet I was struck by the lack of resources food wise for people to make good decisions. The whole store is JUNK. There must be seventeen varieties of hot fries there. I did find some peanuts, but nothing else that I would want to consume.

I think about the neighborhood Circle K where I live. While it still has a decent amount of junk food, there are some good choices there too such as: yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, chicken salad, cheese sticks, granola/protein bars, Muscle Milk (protein supplement drink), etc. While I would not want to make a habit of it, if I needed to stop and get something to snack on or for my lunch, I would have some decent options.

This is simply not the case for the Circle K where I work in the ghetto. Yet, they put what SELLS there. It's not that I don't worry about the adults, but I really worry about the kids. I was an obese kid, and life was tough emotionally. I don't desire to see any child have that experience replicated. This is not even taking into account that many kids are experiencing health problems that didn't hit their parents or grandparents until much later in life.

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

I swear we work at the same school. Or, at least in the same neighborhood. It's so sad, isn't it? My kids, though, go to the corner liquor store for their Flaming Hots and Orange Crush, which the majority of them eat for breakfast every day. :(