Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Long Time No Blog...

I can't believe it has been almost a week since I blogged!  I'm going to start turning that around.  Things are starting to settle into a more "normal"....even though my BIL is still in a coma in the ICU. 

BIL Update:
My BIL had hip surgery on Monday.  He was "healthy" enough to do this.  This is a big step in the right direction, because they had first said he could sit there for six weeks before they would fix it.  Basically, if it wasn't life threatening, they were not going to perform the surgery until things stabalized.  They did not have to replace his hip, but repaired it with screws and plates.  My dad went back with my sister to see Matt before the surgery.  A doctor and nurse were in the room making final preparations before wheeling him downstairs to surgery.  His breathing was very high, and so were other vitals they were monitoring.  My sister went up to him and started talking, and all the levels started dropping.  My dad said it was the wildest thing.  He said had he not been there to see it, he would not have believed it.  The doctor said that was a good sign.  They are removing his drain from his head.  (They may have already done this....I just know that it was scheduled.  He had two in, but the swelling/pressure has been normal for long enough to not merit this.)  He is also making "purposeful movements" instead of just responding to pain.  The next surgery will be for his broken jaw, but there is no time frame set for that one.  He is still in the coma, and the doctors say he could be in that for a few more days or months, that every injury is different.  My sister went back to work tonight, so that was a good thing in many ways.

Eagles Concert:
I had a major case of selfishness about four days before the concert.  I am a big time daddy's girl.  I wanted to buy this exxtra special concert ticket for him for Father's Day.  The tickets were quite a bit of money, but I was happy to do it.  Then Dad says, "Would you mind taking your sister to the concert?"  (This is because he wanted her to get out of the hospital, etc.  Which I totally understand....yet, she doesn't even know ONE Eagles song...not to mention this is something special I wanted to do with my Daddy!!!)  Her response was comical, "Uh, No.  Trust me, Dad will have a MUCH better time at that concert that I would."  Haha!  HH stayed at the hospital, and my mom took my sister out to dinner and Target.

The YUM Center was amazing!  The Eagles were the second best artists I have ever seen live!  (No one will ever beat Amos Lee, and I'm counting the seconds down to the release of his newest album, and when he will be 300 miles or less from my house!)  They performed for over three hours.  There were several songs I had forgotten were theirs.  During the whole concert, there were only 4-5 songs I didn't know.  I noticed that they really enjoyed performing together, and it really shined through.  The musical and vocal talents were not matched by any in my generation that is for certain!)  My dad said the only person that beat them performance wise was Elvis, and he saw Elvis in the prime of his career.  Now to start looking for that next perfect gift for my dad with Christmas and his birthday right around the corner.

I've graded papers for two hours, so I'm going to chill out and have some Count Chocula cereal.  I love this time of year!

No comments: