Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Treat Thursday

I started off the year really good about making treats for my kiddos.  Then, they got to where they expected it a bit much, and acted like they were entitled to them.  That really rubbed me the wrong way, so I told them that treats would be much more sparadic.  I try hard to find what the balance is, because I know most of my students don't have anyone who really goes out of their way to do something to make their lives even a little bit special.  I want to fill that void somewhat.

Peanut Butter Cereal Treats


30 large marshmallows
3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. peanut butter
6 cups Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch
1 1/2 cups of M&Ms

In a large saucepan, combine the marshmallows, butter and peanut butter.  Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in the cereal and M&Ms. 

Pat into a 13 x 9 inch pan coated with cooking spray.  Cool.  Cut into bars.

This is the first recipe from the recipe stack that I got from my magazines that I purged.

Treat for the adults I work with...

Chocolate-Cherry-Cola Cake


1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
3 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups confectioners' sugar
5 Tablespoons Coca-Cola

Garnish: maraschino cherries with stems

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick baking spray.  (I had already used both of my 13 x 9 pans, so I improvised here.)

2.  In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1 cup Coca-Cola, oil, cherry juice, and eggs.  Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, or until well blended.  Pour into prepared dish.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool completely in baking dish on a wire rack (about 1 hour).

3.  In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Add sugar and cola, beating until smooth.  Spread over cooled cake.  Garnish with cherries.

Heck, why not throw in a treat for HH!  This treat is waiting for him on his pillow.  (He has quite a few snacks on his nightstand.)  This idea came from the fabulous ladies at The Dating Divas I "Cerealsy" Love You!


I am almost five years post op.  That is five years that I have not allowed a drop of Coca-Cola pass my lips.  Yet this afternoon as I was making this cake, it was so tempting to "just try a sip."  I didn't.  I used it to make the cake, and had HH pour the rest down the sink.  Coca-Cola is the one thing I have asked not be in our household, or that HH drink in front of me.  HH did say, "Don't think I didn't think of taking a big swing when your head was turned."  I don't want to say it doesn't have any power over me, I just know what it is, and don't partake at all. 

Stay tuned tomorrow night for Burrito Lasagna and Rolo Cookies!

3 comments:

MB said...

Yum on the cake, and good for you for not giving in to the Coke!

ChiTown Girl said...

Your students are so lucky to have you as their awesome teacher! Ben's pretty lucky to have you as his wife, as well! ;-)

Good job staying away from the crack. I mean Coke!

Anonymous said...

Your students are very lucky to have a teacher like you, who understands their life situations, and cares so much about them, and gives so much intellectually and personally to them. God bless you & your husband.

emma